Saturday, August 7, 2010

Gringo-meter


This has been sort of a 'gringo' week. I've been having a lot of fun getting to know the city, but am realizing more and more that I will never blend in here, which is ok. I find myself getting a lot of strange looks when I ask a stranger something in Spanish and I can't decide if it's because I'm not saying it correctly, or they're really surprised to see a gringa speaking Spanish...

I started classes on Tuesday with CIEE and on Wednesday with La Catolica (my university). The class on Wednesday is in the social work department and there are a lot of extranjeros (foreigners), but the class is also enormous so the ratio isn't really that bad. I like that it wasn't just Americans, but also students from France, Germany, Brazil, Spain and Mexico. The prof made us introduce ourselves, which was a little overwhelming, especially since a riot broke out when I told them I am a Spanish/Social Work double major. I guess they were really excited.

Thursday I had three classes, two of which are in Sausalito, which is the campus that is farthest from my house without leaving the vina/valpo area. Needless to say I did not know how to get there 1 hr before my class. We had visited the campus last Friday with our groups, but since we didn't take a Micro, it didn't really help. So I channeled my inner gringa and got the map out on the bus as clandestinely as possible. Meanwhile I'm sweating bullets because I am afraid I won't make it on time, and the weather here can't make up its mind. I figure out where I should get off, but of course there is no sign that says 'CAMPUS THIS WAY!' So I creepily followed some kids with backpacks, all the while praying they are in College and not High School. After scaling a mountain I make it to campus to find out my class is canceled (I fortunately had the forethought to ask if my next class on that campus was canceled too, which it was), so I headed back to Vina to meet up with Max. We made a valiant attempt to make lemon bars, but they sort of turned out like flaccid lemon like things. His nanny, Jackie (Yahcky), promised to teach me how to make typical Chilean pastries, so I am looking forward to that.

We finally got our visas, so I am now legally allowed to be in this country, great. It was such a process though and a lot of waiting for two minutes of sitting anxiously in a chair while someone gave you the seal of approval. Well worth the effort though.

Yesterday was my Chilean cousin, Pancho's birthday, so we all went out to 'La Sala' to celebrate. Obviously the night was topped off with a completo , which is a hot dog with avocado, tomatoes, mayo and whatever else you want. Best drunk food ever. We are celebrating his birthday with the family tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoy Sundays here since the whole family gets together and we spend all day together. I also spent a lot of time with my host family today, which was really great. My host dad is super funny and corny, which reminds me a lot of home. I taught my sister how to make friendship bracelets today while watching MTV, both of which were highly entertaining. We went out to lunch at 5:00pm, pretty typical for the weekends here. We went to this place that is hidden in a back alley next to a lot of graffiti and is the perfect mix of traditional and eclectic decorations. Like 'Color Cafe' it has things posted on the walls from people who have been there, mostly pictures that you would use on your visa. People also write all over the plastic table clothes. The only thing you can get at this cafe is choriallana (I think that's what it's called) and it is pretty much a heart attack on a plate. French fries, onions, eggs and beef, and it is so so so good.

After wards I came home to make lemon bars properly for my host dad since lemon is his favorite thing ever. He said some people take drugs, but he just eats lemon. I successfully made them this time, along with some chocolate chip cookies. I have another birthday party tonight which I'm going to with Max, Marina and Dan.

Much love to all.

fotos: Mis padres; Ceci y Manolo, my host sister and me; Gaby, y mi dormitorio (super clean right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment