Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quote of the week: "It's a process"


Housemates writing on GIANT Chilean flag for the march
Casa central shut down in support of protest

Process as defined by Merriam-Webster : a natural phenomenon marked by gradual changes that lead toward a particular result 'the process of growth'

Over the last few weeks I've been here undergoing my own series of processes including re-learning the language, learning how to efficiently dress myself for indoors and outdoors, learning that a SIP is an incredibly vague something that everyone talks about but nobody really knows what it is. I've also been privy to witness a national movement here in Chile for free education, which can be summed up only as 'It's a process'. And as with all processes things are going slowly, with short bursts of productivity here and there. (How do you think my adviser will feel about that explanation?)
To further distract you from my failure as a researcher I will fill you in on the education movement instead. (Although to be fair this movement did help me decide to focus on the education part of child welfare policy, thus eliminating one of a billion potential things to focus on) Basically, the students started the movement and now others have joined, which I think will help contribute to the legitimacy of the cause. Giant flag makes an appearance in the march

They are asking the government to nationalize the copper industry, and use the profit to pay for education. About 2/3 of the copper industry is internationally owned, and Allende's nationalization of copper in the 70s was a success (which was not what I had previously thought, but seems to be the general opinion here). From people I've talked to there is some skepticism to whether or not this will work. Some believe that Chile doesn't have the capacity to manage it's own copper industry, while others believe the amount of money they will make would seriously bolster the economy. In the 70s when there was Giant puppet tries to play with giant flag

a vote on the nationalization of copper it was 100% unanimous (redundant?) and that is the only time that has ever happened in Chile (or the world for that matter). Recently some copper miners went on strike to support the movement. The cost of 5 years of university (the average time to complete a carerra, major) is about 10,000 US dollars. I literally laughed out loud the first time I heard that. That is legitimately a 1/4 of what the average US student pays per year for a private college. My housemates nearly had a heart attack when I told them how much I pay, with scholarships. However, it is important to keep in mind that the average annual salary here is about 7000 US dollars and not so long ago education was free for everyone. I think that is what really caused the movement to get going, if it was free, then why not again? why not now?
Currently there is a march every Thursday here in Valpo (and I believe around the country), and I most certainly did not participate in the most recent one. Nor did I carry a giant Chilean flag down the streets with my housemates. I definitely didn't set foot in that march, ever, because if I had I would tell you that it was one of the most inspiring moments of my life and it felt incredible to watch thousands of people, of all ages fighting for something they want. I would tell you that the US hasn't seen something like this since the Tea Party (not the political party, the actual event). I would tell you that I don't know if they will get everything they are asking for, but you can't say they aren't trying their best and giving everything they got to this cause. That's what I would tell you if I had gone to the march. Which I didn't.Lorena cooking the awesome asado on our sidewalk

I recently spent the day with my host cousin Carlos in his apartment, talking about life and my thesis. He was really helpful in narrowing down my ideas and telling me things I needed to clarify or further investigate. I have two interviews this week. Hopefully. I was supposed to have one this morning, but in Chilean style I waited 1.5 hours to be told to come back on Thursday. I was thinking about how Cory would die in this country, nobody sticks to a schedule and don't even think about showing up on time.
Other goings on:
Chile was tragically eliminated from the Copa America. It was a sad day here.
I had an asado with my housemates and friends
on the sidewalk in front of our house.
My body has adjusted to the 'stay up late, sleep late' schedule quite easily.
I went to a cueca bar on Saturday (the Chilean equivalent of a line-dancing country bar), and pitifully attempted to dance cueca, convinced a guy I was from Russia and was rejected by an old man after he saw how poorly I danced cueca. I had a great time though.
Made friends with the vegetable vendor at the bottom of the hill.
Found a micro that takes me from downtown Vina directly to my house, win!
Ate Bravissimo today with Rachel and Alejandro.
Commandeered the estufa, heater, while my housemates were gone, so I can't see my breath in my room anymore.
Had many, many serious conversations with friends and housemates about politics, the environment and which cat video on youtube was f
unnier.
Continued my musical education with Violeta Parra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW3IgDs-NnA
Was told I couldn't leave the house because it was sprinkling outside. Chileans don't do rain.
While we don't have central heating, the middle of winter is still sunny and warm during the day. Rachel and Alejandro at my favorite sea-lion site.

Overall, I would say the 'processes' are going pretty well down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment