Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SIPing

I am beginning to get the impression that my housemates and friends are more concerned about me actually doing research for my SIP than I am. I sense that could be problematic, I am however, unperturbed. After a week of phone calls, I seem to be getting somewhere and will hopefully have three more interviews this week. I think I need to start being less self conscious and really push people to do interviews with me. They're really good about saying 'I'll call you' here, and never actually calling you back. It's like a complicated mating ritual:
1. Call the person, act polite and professional, while using the right amount of charm and humor.
2. Show up at the place to speak person to person, continue to act charming and educated.
3. Go back again, after having been assured that this time the person will have time to speak with you, try to not show dejection at being turned away, again.
4. Go back one more time, acting a little more persistent, but not too much so as to scare away your interviewee, pray to un-known research gods that this time it will all work out.
As you can see, I spend a lot of time flirting with potential candidates, but little time taking them out to dinner, proverbially speaking of course.
I am pretty convinced that I will not be getting all 20 interviews I was asked to get/told myself I would do. I am currently hoping for 10, which I'll be content with. I have learned a lot, although some of the information I've gathered was sort of like 'well, duh', but I think that's how research goes right? (Just say yes.)
This last week brought sunshine, new housemates and some beloved gringa visitors here to Valparaiso. Carlos, 21 from Santiago moved in over the weekend, he is also a musician. Paul, the giant French man, moved in on Monday and immediately turned around to hitchhike up to Peru with his Italian friend. They are taking advantage of the 'vacation' time while the government is figuring out all this student protest, free education business. Allyson came for the day, and I saw all of the current students who are just starting their time here in Valpo. It's exciting to see them learning all the ins and outs of the city, and remembering my own failures and successes one year ago.
I've spent a lot of time observing the protests and talking with friends about the pros and cons of the situation. I find it inspiring how dedicated the entire country is towards achieving free education. I wish protests like this would happen in the US against, oh I don't know, the War on Terror maybe? I think 10 years later it's time to stop killing people. (I am aware that it is not that simple, but nonetheless) Or for lower education costs for all people? It's weird to be such a part of this historic movement when this isn't my country. I am consistently the only blonde person out with the Chileans shouting for free education, and to be honest, it makes me a little uncomfortable. What right do I have to be out there yelling for change in a country that isn't mine? Then again, maybe this is my country too. My SIP has focused itself on education, because I've always seen that as the key to ending poverty and truly creating equality. And I think that's as true in the states as it is here in Chile. So why shouldn't I support the cause?
Last night it all came into perspective when I went over to my friend's apartment and saw/heard all of the people out in the streets banging on pots and pans with wooden spoons. Two years ago I did a research project on female movements in Chile during the dictatorship, and that was what led me to choose Chile for study abroad and come back for my SIP research, with a focus on gender. Women during the dictatorship took to the streets with their ollas, pots, and demanded accountability from the government. Women were unrestricted by the censorship of the dictatorship because they were seen as 'weak' and their only place in society was in the home. Pinochet unknowingly created a force to be reckoned with by bypassing the women, shrugging them off as stupid, ignorant and inactive. Now, more than 20 years later, people are still taking to the streets with their pots and pans demanding accountability from the government. It was really powerful for me to see that, it makes me feel like my research is coming full circle.
So here I am. Half gringa, half chilena. Excited to return to the states, but I know that I can't leave this chaotic place behind. What will happen in the next few years? Who knows. I can't say with certainty where I'll end up, but I know I am far from being done with Chile and Valparaiso.

2 comments:

  1. For your SIP interviews, to get each subject's attention and stimulate his or her interest in speaking to you, why don't you go to the address, stand outside the window, and bang on a big pot with a wooden spoon? Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete